Church [Noun:] A body or organisation of religious believers.
Oakwood Church exists as a Methodist-Anglican Partnership ‘At the heart of our local community‘ to:
- Increase awareness of God’s presence and celebrate God’s love.
- Help people to grow and learn as Christians through mutual support and care.
- Be a good neighbour to people in need.
- Challenge injustice.
- Share the good news of Jesus Christ.
Every week more than 600 people visit the Oakwood Church building or join us by Zoom to worship, take part in activities and attend events.
Oakwood Church sponsors a wide range of groups and activities, including groups for young people, which benefit the wellbeing of the wider local community.
Many independent community groups and businesses hire rooms in the Oakwood Church building for regular activities and one-off events. The purpose and conduct of their activities or events must be compatible with Oakwood Church policy but they, not Oakwood Church, are responsible for what happens there.
Individuals may hire rooms in the building for private events, providing the purpose and conduct of their event is compatible with Oakwood Church policy.
Oakwood Church has a close relationship with the nearby Roundhay St John’s Primary School.
Roundhay and Oakwood has a fascinating History. The two churches that partner as Oakwood Church were important in that history and are pleased to host the work of local community historians on this website.
On 14 November 2013 the Churches of Roundhay Methodist and Roundhay St John formed an Ecumenical Partnership, taking the name Oakwood Church. On 1 December 2013 Oakwood Church held its first unified service.
The two churches had co-operated for many years and in 1998 entered into a formal covenant to work together. In 2006 they began to share the modern Roundhay Methodist Church building on Springwood Road, which opened in 1986.
It is not known exactly when Methodism first took root in the Township of Roundhay but before 1815 Methodists were meeting in the upstairs room of a cottage (now called Chapel Cottage) on Chapel Lane (which is now called North Lane).
Roundhay St John’s original Anglican church building on Wetherby Road was consecrated in January 1826 and the first regular service was held there on 12 March 1826.
A school and Alms houses built next to the original church building opened in 1837.
In November 2007 the last public service was held and responsibility for the redundant Roundhay St. John building passed to The Church Commissioners who sold it, passing the ongoing maintenance responsibility to the purchaser.
The Friends of Roundhay St John’s Church was founded as a grass roots organisation in 2014 and is committed to working towards the restoration and conservation of the Grade 2 listed building and the two adjacent graveyards. The Friends are an independent community group unconnected with Oakwood Church, the Parish of Roundhay St John or the Anglican Church.